Assuming you safely arrived at work this morning, the drive home may be more difficult as snow continues to “Wite-Out” the city of Ottawa. Firstly, understand everyone is traveling together and experiencing difficult conditions together. Help keep each other safe with these simple tips:
- Turn on your headlights! I don’t know how many times I’ve seen vehicles traveling without headlights on. It’s difficult to see other cars with snow and darkness.
- Always remove ice and snow from windows, hood, and headlights before departing.
- Drive with extreme caution and at slow speeds. You will need 3 to 12 times the amount of stopping distance than without winter weather.
- If possible, avoid bridges and overpasses since they freeze first (or at least take EXTRA caution).
- Do not brake quickly as the car may spin out of control.
- If stuck, straighten wheels and accelerate at a slow pace.
Remember, everyone is trying to get home as quickly and safely as possible. Drive safe Ottawa!