Cars are a popular target of crime because they are relatively easy to steal. To reduce your risk of becoming a victim, use the following tips:
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Never leave your keys in the car or ignition, even inside a locked garage.
- Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is in front of your home.
- Park in high-trafficked, well-lit areas, if possible.
- Consider anti-theft devices such as steering wheel locks or fuel cut-off switches.
- Purchase an auto alarm system if you live in a high-theft area or drive a theft-prone vehicle.
For additional protection, a strong auto insurance policy can help you recoup some of the losses associated with a stolen vehicle.