Accidents and natural disasters can strike without warning!
When this happens, you will have to file an insurance claim in order for your policy to kick in and recoup your losses.
To get the most out of the claims process, consider the following tips:
Call your insurance broker as soon as an incident occurs.
- The sooner you get the process moving, the better.
- After you’ve contacted your insurance broker, you can ask the adjuster to come and inspect the damage.
Document your losses before the adjuster comes.
- Make a thorough list of property that has been impacted by a disaster.
- Provide purchase receipts, or estimate how much the belongings cost and when you bought them.
Take photographs of the scene.
- Don’t throw out damaged items before notifying your insurance broker and adjuster.
Above all, it’s important to document the claims process, noting when you speak with your insurance broker and what the conversation entailed.
At Scrivens, we keep detailed notes on every customer interaction.
This helps track the amount of reimbursement you should receive and allows you to keep a record of insurance claims for future use.
Scrivens highly recommends everyone keep a thorough home inventory to help make the claims process run smoothly and quickly. You can download our Home Inventory Checklist in Excel format here.